I hate being the bearer of bad news. Unfortunately, it feels like I’ll be showering our dear readers with doom and gloom for the next month, as well as the full 208 weeks of Donald Trump’s presidency.
First, let’s get the worst out of the way:
- We at Planned Parenthood are now in grave danger of being defunded. The president-elect has promised this and the Republican-controlled Congress will likely be more than gung-ho to gut us once and for all. I don’t shill for donations often (at all, really) on this blog, but if you can find it in your heart (and wallet) to help us, we and the millions of women we serve would be so thankful. (NY Mag)
- Trump’s pick for secretary of health and human services, Tom Price, is a creep who espouses radical beliefs about “personhood,” thinks women should have no control over their bodies, doesn’t support insurance coverage of birth control, and is on the “defund Planned Parenthood” train. (The Daily Beast)
- He’s also a Lying McLiarFace who asserts that “not one woman” ever struggled to afford birth control. (The Atlantic)
- As of now, Hillary Clinton has trumped The Donald in total votes by more than 2 million (and counting). That isn’t a small margin. It’s “YUGE” and “bigly” (as the president-elect would say). Our soon-to-be commander in chief is not taking kindly to the news that he LOST the popular vote by such a large margin: The reckless, thin-skinned toddler in a 70-year-old body hopped on Twitter (his favorite platform) to assert that, had “millions” of people not voted illegally, he would have won the popular vote.
First of all — this is a highly dangerous statement as there is literally ZERO evidence of “millions” of people voting illegally. However, if there were even the slightest possibility this could be true (it isn’t), how in THE WORLD can he take the giant leap to posit that everyone voting illegally voted for Hillary Clinton? Couldn’t it be equally possible that these millions of (non-existent) fraudulent voters voted for him, which calls into question whether he REALLY won the election? Funny how he only tosses out accusations of widespread voter fraud when it threatens his ability to claim victory and deem himself the winner. (NBC News)
- Hillary Clinton wasn’t just failed by the Electoral College. Widespread voter suppression tactics (enacted by Republicans in 2010, right after Barack Obama’s history-making win — coincidence, I’m sure!) closed down at least 868 polling places nationwide and kept potentially millions of people (mostly minorities … probably another coincidence!) from voting. (WaPo)
- Texas: Epicenter of anti-choice, anti-woman malarkey. They stay on the front lines of the War on Women! The abhorrent legislators there have decided that beginning December 19, all fetuses surgically aborted must be buried or cremated, regardless of gestational stage. Gov. Greg Abbott is claiming this measure is being taken for the “enhanced protection of the health and safety of the public.” Yet this mandate doesn’t apply to women who have miscarried in their own homes? How is this related to health and safety, then? Jeez … I’m sure their aim is not to SHAME women or make them suffer for choosing to abort, right? And I’m sure it’s definitely NOT meant to make abortion providers jump through potentially insurmountable obstacles in finding nearby funeral homes willing to provide fetus funeral services, which can cost upward of $2,000? Oh, and I must mention, Mike Pence did this in Indiana during his tenure as governor. (Broadly)
- Speaking of vice president-elect Bad Hombre, he is practically dancing on Fidel Castro’s grave and had the gall to refer to him as a “tyrant.” Friendly reminder — Gov. Pence is the man who supported putting a woman in jail for having a miscarriage. #PotMeetKettle (ITV)
- Could the orange menace known as Donald Trump ax our copay-free birth control unilaterally with no help from Congress? Unfortunately, yes. (Vox)
- The megalomaniac in chief’s ultra-petty Twitter account is a frightening death spiral into madness. This man is not OK mentally, and that should terrify us all. (Mother Jones)
- And his cabinet is a crapshow too! It’s shaping up to be the most conservative in decades. (Politico)
Speaking of Trump’s cabinet, I can’t “get the worst out of the way” until I introduce you to our future attorney general:
Let’s have a little roundup of all the evidence Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) is a despicable person, shall we?
- He despises civil rights and has a storied history of racist comments and behavior.
- He thinks accommodating disabled people (especially schoolchildren with special needs) is, like, a superbly major hassle.
- He is not in favor of immigration. ANY IMMIGRATION. Even the legal kind! Which is odd seeing as though that is the avenue by which he and every other person of European descent happened upon America in the first damn place. I mean, if you can call murdering natives for their land “legal,” but I digress.
Feel free to join me shuddering at the reality that THIS is the kind of person who will be the top law enforcement official in our government. This post, which over the last eight years has been in the hands of two highly esteemed minorities who worked diligently to hold this country to certain civil and human rights standards and seek proper justice when it did not. And the next party to hold this job? Essentially a segregationist who thinks disabled little kids are a scourge upon the public school system. Talk about moving backward, America.
Now that I’ve gotten the worst out of the way, let’s look at some of the less-disheartening headlines:
- Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, and the Center for Reproductive Rights have filed lawsuits in North Carolina, Alaska, and Missouri in order to fight the unnecessary hurdles these states have put in place to restrict women’s access to abortion. (Jezebel)
- Science is still muddling along on the search for a viable birth control option for men. (Newsweek)
- Perhaps by the time we have male birth control, we’ll also have an HIV vaccine? (Time)
Before I sign off, I want to leave you with these important words: If we are going to survive this administration and hostile political climate, Planned Parenthood and all of our allies and advocates need to keep shouting from the rooftops that women’s economic livelihoods depend on access to affordable, safe reproductive health care!
Annnnnnd Clinton’s popular vote surplus has now surpassed 2.5 million.