It would be an understatement to simply say we’re all reeling from last week’s election.
Ironically, in a nation where only 1.2 percent of the population are actual “real Americans” who are natives to this country, a swath of angry, non-native voters, with the intention of “taking their country back” (from whom is still a mystery) chose to pull the proverbial lever for a self-serving, authoritarian, demagogic, misogynistic, race-baiting, ego-maniacal, predatory, pathological liar.
Thanks to the 46,000 (and counting!) folks donating to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pence’s name.
The fact that hate speech and fear-mongering triumphed is truly frightening and demoralizing.
Most disappointing to many of us is the stunning betrayal we are realizing has been perpetrated by white female voters — 53 percent of whom voted for Donald Trump. #InsertFrownyFaceEmojiHere
Sorry to shatter your dream of a sisterhood! White ladies decided not to support a woman who has a long and storied history of advocating for children, affordable health care, equal pay, family leave, and women’s health and reproductive rights. Sadly, a majority of white women proved they would rather cast a vote for an openly cruel and vindictive man who doesn’t care about consent or gender equality, and publicly assigns and strips women of their value and humanity solely based on their appearance, and bullies female journalists and other women in the public sphere for his own entertainment.
Oh, and he blatantly and outlandishly lies about abortion. A procedure that one in three women has undergone.
Fairly certainly from a statistical standpoint, many of them were Trump voters.
I guess his statement that women who have abortions should be “punished” didn’t bother them.
In other harrowing news:
- LGBTQ suicide hotline calls increased drastically almost immediately after Trump’s victory. (Mother Jones)
- Try to reign in your shock, but hate crimes against marginalized groups are up since the election was called, mostly perpetrated by Trump supporters. (CNN)
- The electoral college has forsaken us yet again. This is the fifth time in history that the popular vote winner has lost the election. Can we continue to shame people who believe their votes don’t count, when in actuality — they kinda don’t?? (NPR)
- Although it’s highly unlikely to pass, Barbara Boxer has introduced a bill to save us from this scourge upon democracy. (SF Gate)
- FYI — the know-nothing President-elect was taken aback by the scope of his soon-to-be duties as Leader of the Free World. He really didn’t know it was like, a big deal and stuff. (CNBC)
- Also, he seems to be under the impression that the presidency can maybe be a 40-hour, Monday-to-Friday, 8 a.m.-to-5 p.m. deal and he can ditch the White House on a whim to go live in his tacky, gaudy, gold-laden lair in Trump Tower on the weekends. WTF. (NY Mag)
- As a matter of fact, the winner of this election is probably hating his life right now because really, he likely just wanted to WIN, not actually have to do the actual work of governing a nation. (Deadspin)
- This transition is not currently and will not in the future go well. (The Daily Banter)
- Donald Trump can’t be formally “diagnosed” as a narcissist by anyone who hasn’t personally treated him. However, a therapist and licensed clinical social worker gives insight into ways President Obama could possibly influence a man who exhibits so many of the narcissistic personality traits that Trump does. (NY Mag)
- A big e-hug and a thanks to the 46,000 (and counting!) folks donating to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pence’s name. Keep ’em coming plz? (NY Times)
- Rawstory has a sobering postmortem on why Hillary lost. (Rawstory)
- The thought of our hard-fought co-pay-free birth control being ripped out of our hands is a sad reality. Luckily though, any changes (or a repeal) the Nightmare Administration hopes to make to the Affordable Care Act won’t happen overnight. (NPR)
- Maybe our soon-to-be Tyrant in Chief should consider the fact that in 2010, the government spent $21 billion on unintended pregnancies and leave the ACA the hell alone? (NY Mag)
- Social justice advocate Van Jones gave a compelling interview explaining the horrendous racial tensions in our country and why maybe not every Trump voter is an actual racist (but IMO, there’s a good chance that every “actual racist” who voted was a Trump voter!). (NY Mag)
- Speaking of racism, reported white nationalist and Breitbart carnival barker Steve “Turn On The Hate” Bannon’s recent appointment as chief White House strategist and senior counselor should chill every rational human being to the bone. (NY Times)
- The head of the NSA has openly accused Russia of using Wikileaks to get Trump elected. (Jezebel)
- Look, I love Michelle Obama with literally every fiber of my being (I went to her rally for Clinton/Kaine in Phoenix a few weeks ago and cried upon sight of her), but she ain’t gonna save us by running for office, so let’s stop with the pipe dreams, mmkay? (Slate)